Wednesday, January 17, 2007

The Battleship Potemkin

Okay, so I'm really starting to think that it's true, nothing in
Hollywood is original. Disney has managed to successfully
turn every Grim (pun intended) fairytale into a feel good
cartoon with a great ending. Do people realize that these
cartoons were developed to convey political messages in
Germany nearly a century and a half ago? As I understand
even these fairytales weren't originally German, but
French-until the Grimms got hold of them.

Walt Disney was another one in a long list of fairytale
reitoraters (rather than inventors). Walt was a few french-fries
short of a happy meal. Example the character
Snow White was actually drawn from a 12 year old model.
Um, ewww! So you have a 12 year old girl sleeping in a house
with a bunch of older guys waiting for an prince to swing by the cottage.
It's really a wonder that pedophilia runs ramped in this society!

Over the holiday weekend, I watched "The Prince of Egypt."
A cartoon about Moses freeing the Jews from an evil Pharos
and delivering them onto the promise land. FYI-I do believe the
cartoon version omitted a few plagues. SERIOUSLY, WTF????!!!
Are we that low on ideas?

It's just my opinion that some of the strangest most
interesting stories are not fiction but reality. I was screening
the Battleship Potemkin yesterday at work. I guess I was
inadvertently yelling out what I thought would happen in each
scene, right before it happened. These scenes looked so familiar
to me! Not because I've ever seen the movie before but because
this movie was so innovative many other movies and famous
scenes were influenced by it! On one hand that is an attest to the
film but on the other hand it's damn sad that we don't seem to
know the difference between influence and outright plagiarism!

No comments:

Free Blog Counter