Wednesday, January 03, 2007

What the Hell is Cutting Edge TV?

Recently, I read an article on how “cutting edge TV” isn’t
really edge anymore. What I took for the article is that cutting
edge entertainment just translates to shock value these days.
Moreover, nothing is really all that shocking! So where does
entertainment go from here? Personally, I don’t believe in
censorship, but I do believe in good taste. So what are people
watching now? As a viewer, I’m so sick of seeing nudity and
hearing profanities. Give me a good story any day of the week!

I liken the article to the development of CG (computer generated)
movies. “King Kong” is a great example! There was very little
keeping me in my seat for the entirety of that bland movie.
The story was not all that interesting and I got really board
watching some giant ape running around. If I really wanted
to see a giant ape running around I would park myself in a sports
bar during a football game!!!! None the less, the point is that I
spent money to watch 2 hours of a computer generated monkey run
around. Where as a movie like “Mystic River” kept my attention
for the entire flick.

TV these days is no different. People pandering to some
notion, audiences really want to see nudity and violence
because it’s considered cutting edge. Well it’s not so
cutting edge anymore! Everyone has seen it already!!!
For the love of God, how many times can I watch naked people
running around, beating the crap out of each other and cursing
all the while?? These storylines don’t even make sense.
That is if there are story lines at all. I think if anything
programming is doing a 180! People are so sick of this so
called edginess that they are looking for decent dramas are
sitcoms. I never thought I would see the day where
audiences longed for something interesting, something
witty, something funny, something entertaining! Seriously,
when the hell did entertainment become about entertainment??!!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Please don't overlook all of the humping while nude....it's not like their naked for nothing!

Anyway, I agree with you. I get sucked into these mindless shows but I also enjoy good sitcoms like Ugly Betty (well at least I consider that to be new and enjoyable)more after my brain has been zombified by reality tv.

Good to see you posting again...and screw spellcheck!

Ali Hope said...

Indeed! I don't spell check to pull a lindsay lohan! :-)

Thanks for all the love Danielle!

Free Blog Counter