Tuesday, February 28, 2006

"Smack my B*tch up"

As I stated before, I don't believe in censorship but I really think
the media has gotten irresponsible and out of control. I never really
saw myself as one of those people pointing my finger at the media,
declaring they are the cause of violence. While I'm in no way negating
personal responsibility I think there is something to be said for violence
in the media. To narrow it down further, I believe there is a correlation
between violence in the media and domestic abuse.

In college I briefly worked on a rap hotline and it is really disturbing
how many woman are emotionally/physically abused.
Everyone is responsible for their own actions, no question. However,
people really do learn their behavior from somewhere! I've seen the
documentary "Tough Guise," by Jackson Katz, a few times. It touches
on some interesting theories. One being that the horror genre in particular
conditions young men to be sexually abusive. Most horror movies are
formulaic, running on intervals of sex and violence. At the sexual pinnacle
there is always an act of violence. As much I love The Toxic Avenger
and Fright Night, I do see a pattern. I wish there was more long
term research done on the topic. Other examples of domestic
violence in the media can be found on http://www.about-face.org/
(an amazing non-profit organization, based in San Francisco, focused
on changing the negative imagery of women in media). I attached
some of the disturbing images from About-Face.

Image hosting by Photobucket

Image hosting by Photobucket

Image hosting by Photobucket

Image hosting by Photobucket

While everyone has control over their own actions, behavior is
learned not biological. domestic violence and reproductive rights
top my list of social political priorities. I've had friends and family
deal with some of these issues. As painful as it is to experience,
it is possible more so, to witness it. Would you treat your mother
this way? Would you treat your sister or aunt or wife this way?
I would hope not. Just some food for thought. This is broad topic
and not one to be looked at lightly.

It is estimated that in the United states alone one woman
will die every six hours, as the result of domestic violence.
NOW (National Organization for Women) has reported that the
number of women killed by acts of domestic violence is actually
grater then the number of soldiers killed in the
Vietnam War. It's an issue that is taken far to lightly.
It's also a subject which knows no racial, or economic bounds.

1 comment:

Joaquin "The Rooster" Ochoa said...

Errr...eye opener.

Free Blog Counter