Sunday, February 19, 2006

That Whole Dating Thing

So I’ve mentioned in my myspace blog, that I was dating some
guy who I liked but it just didn’t work out. The truth is I’m
still kind of pissed, while I won’t let this stop me from
meeting a nice guy. Trying not to focus on it too
much but this morning, I just feel the need to write it
out a little. Besides which, it kind of sucks that things
couldn't be left on a more amicable note.
I guess that is the way it goes.

My brother told my last week, “There is a difference between
getting what you want from/in a relationship and getting
what you need. I suspect you tend to go for a lot of what
you want and neglectwhat you need. In fact I would go so
far as to say you date the wrongtype of guy all together.
Besides this guy was not real nice to you.He wasn't upfront. ”

While it sucked to hear that, I think he maybe on
to something. I tend to like intelligent, creative,
funny somewhat off beat guys. Maybe I should be dating
people who are more grounded.

While I’m not a very high maintenance person, an
email or a phone call once or twice a week would have
been cool. I guess really what annoys me is he didn’t
bother to get to know me. The truth is no matter how
busy you are, if you are into someone you make the time.
Or so I’m starting to learn. In fairness, he isn't a
horrible or evil guy.

On a more fundamental level, I don’t believe in
love at first sight. I believe in something much more.
I believe in developing a friendship and getting to
know people. I think that really can change someone’s
appearance. Love at first sight, isn’t really love. That is what
we call lust and frankly it doesn’t last. It's kind of up there
with the tooth fairy and the Easter Bunny. I believe in
chemistry, but that isn't always immediate. Besides what
is love at first sight going to matter when you are eighty
and you need an oxygen tank to look at pictures of Lindsay Lohan?

When I’m ninety and gravity has taken over, my boobs are around
my ankles, and all my meals come in liquid form, it’s really not
going to matter to me if the guy in the next rocker has a full head
of hair or not. All this love at first sight shit is just really a
bunch of boring Hollywood stupidity. It’s about knowing someone and
enjoying their little quirks and unique qualities. That is just
the way I feel about it.

None of my serious or meaningful relationships have ever
started out with some crazy jolt of electricity. I think the whole
love at first sight thing is a way to escape responsibility and
avoid commitment. So in the very brilliant words of my dear
friend Erin, “In a city of nine million people, he can and will
be replaced at will.”

2 comments:

Joaquin "The Rooster" Ochoa said...

It's all about the smile. If you have a rough day at work and come home to a good smile...golden. If you wake to a good smile, golden. Nice just nice teeth, but a sweetness behind it...you are right, in the end we all get ugly...heehee! As for finding a man you like...err...hard in a city of millions...best of luck and I shall be rooting for you.

Ali Hope said...

As always you are the sweetest of men! You are right in a city of millions you would think it would be easier.

Free Blog Counter