Friday, May 12, 2006

Fame, a Social Disease?

In an interview several years ago I heard Harrison Ford describe
fame as a social disease. I think this is a really interesting debate.
I have a lot of friends in their 30s + who are still looking to break
into the world of Hollywood. Half the time, I wonder if people are
really aware of what they are asking for. There are a million and
one reasons why someone would want fame, money and power.
However, there are a few things that even money/fame/power
cannot buy you!

I've had the opportunity to meet some celebrities and visit shoots
and various sets and I'm not sure I would really want that kind of
lifestyle. I'm a private person, I would feel very awkward standing
all glammed up at an event, with no one but my manager, speaking
to people and shaking hands. Last large scale event I went to I saw
the way lines formed to take pictures with these stars and I felt bad
for them. It seemed like we were in Disney World and everyone
was running up to take a picture with Mickey Mouse and Goofy, only
they weren't wearing costumes and Epcote center was not in the
background. It's such an impersonal, invasive lifestyle.

The larger the star, the less privacy they get. I understand it is a
choice that these people make. I wonder if they really understand
what they are giving up before hand. You can't put a price on
privacy and anonymity. Especially when you have a family.
Personally, while I'm not particularly impressed with the way
Jennifer Anniston publicly dealt with her separation to Brad Pitt,
I'm not sure I could or would have handled it any better. My
question is, do you really think it's worth it? All very harsh criticism, competitiveness, invasiveness and lack of privacy; just to get yourself
in a movie or on a magazine cover?

2 comments:

Joaquin "The Rooster" Ochoa said...

Yes, it is hard to deal with fame. There isn't a day when someone doesn't come up to me and want to talk to me...yet, I have to be honest, I think everyone knows what they are getting in to. Most of us wanted people coming up to us daily, and anyone who tells you different is telling a lie. Yet, I do think that some people can't believe how unreal the attention is and get thrown off.

Joaquin "The Rooster" Ochoa said...

By the way, glad to see that you are posting again.

Free Blog Counter