Tuesday, March 28, 2006

"Just One More Step"

Sunday night I had the privilege of hearing Aron Ralston
speak on behalf of my cousin's foundation (for information
on Katie's foundation go to www.KateSvitekMemorial.org).
Wow, what an amazing guy! It was really a pleasure to listen
to him retell his story. I had a brief opportunity to speak with
him and aside from being adorable I was taken a back by his
charisma. I strongly encourage you to pick up his book
"Between a Rock and a Hard Place."

His Story

In short, Aron (then 27 years old) set off on a solo mountaineering
expedition in a remote part of Utah. With only several liters of
water and maybe a days a supply of food Aron set off on his adventure.
While repelling down the canyon Aron found himself atop an unstable
boulder which seconds later would be crushing his hand against the
canyon wall.

When the boulder came to rest Aron was trapped and unable to
free his hand. Five nights and six days later Aron was forced to
either amputate his hand or die their in the canyon. Astonishingly,
sleep deprived, starving, dehydrated Aron mustered enough
strength to perform the amputation. At death's doorstep Aron
managed to find a family who guided him to the search
parties that were literally just beginning to look for him.
Some how he managed. Truly it was a case of mind over matter.
The human spirit and the human mind are such incredible things.
By all medical accounts, Aron should have been dead.

Aron had brought his hand held digi (digital video camera) with him.
During his time in the canyon Aron had begin to record his last will a
nd testament. Leaving words for his family and friends to remember
him by. In doing so Aron said he recalled various memories of his
family and all of his friends. He also said in recording these memories
he found himself smiling a great deal and that was what sustained him.
The thought of his family and his friends. During his speech, I found
myself saying, "I couldn't agree more." I'm so lucky to have such an
amazing family and such incredible friends. I have not but one doubt
that the memory of my family and friends would have carried me through
such an event as well.

"Just One More Step"
Aron said, that he continued to mutter the words "Just one more step,"
after he freed himself and was bleeding, searching for help,
closing in on the end of his life. I again shuck my head in silent
agreement. I thought to myself that I've been in situations
when I've uttered those exact words, "one more step."
I really think that the human mind is so remarkable!
There are in fact those times when you put on blinders
and just say to yourself...don't think about it, just do it!
Later on when you arrive at point b (where ever that is)
you just say how the hell did I ever survive that?
How was I able to make it?

Tying it to Katie

After his experience Aron traded in his job as an engineer
to continue doing what he loved, climbing mountains.
Aron now works as part of a search and rescue team in Aspen.
He says after this situation he decided to focus on his
interpersonal relationships as they are what really saved
him in that Utah canyon. He continues to climb and has in
fact designed some of the prosthetic attachments which he
now uses to assist him in his expeditions.

Again when he spoke of following his dreams and investing in
his personal relationships, it resonated with me. I thought
of all you that I care so much for. I thought of Kate and how
she always followed her heart. Though we are all forever
traumatized by her loss, she followed her dreams until the
very end. How many people can you say that about?!
Kate had a love for nature and understanding of the outdoors.
Absolutely nothing got in that girls way! I really admire that.

Seeing the Beauty

Our neighbors have long since stopped coming to check
on me when they hear my screams. In all likelyhood they
know I just ran into another silverfish or water bug.
My roommate can attest to this as she has had to rescue
me on many occasions when the bottle of raid proved no match
for some spider. My step father has mentioned many times
that I have an unnatural bond with my hairdryer.
Somehow after seeing Aron's slides and looking at these
stunning canyons I can see how Katie would fall in love with nature.

Sometimes, I think my view of the world is somewhat
narrow. I have an amazing view of the entire Manhattan
Skyline (not from my apartment of course, but from the
corner of my street), looking at it at night, with all of the
lights is just beautiful. Being a city girl, I know more about grit
and broken sidewalks then I do about long stretches of desolate
desert. I know more about skyscrapers and architecture then
I do about the brilliant colors that exists in these far off places.

We start heading into southern Jersey or western Pennsylvania
and I start losing it because the houses are miles apart and the
grass is not only real, but it's green! If I had to close my eyes
and imagine some beautiful spot, it would be out west. It would
be some long stretch of desert where vibrant reds and oranges
drape a lonely landscape. It would be some place I've seen
in mind and some place I would have never expected myself
to admire the way I do. Isn't that strange?

No comments:

Free Blog Counter