Monday, March 20, 2006

What Would You Do?

I was watching the news this morning and there was actually a
lot that struck me today. However the most interesting segment
that I really wanted to draw some attention to was regarding
child abduction in broad day light.

The NBC Today Morning Show crew put the public to the test
by planting a child and assailant (both actors of course) in a
New York suburb. The child was screaming "Help Me...Someone
help me! You're not my Dad!" Apparently it took hours for
someone to actually approach the man and attempt to intervene.
People walked past the screaming child and gawked, but no
one said or did anything. Eventually, these two men approached
the assailant, but it would be hours before these proactive citizens
walked by.

I could see why someone might not approach the pair.
Some people might have been concerned for their own safety.
Personally, I might have thought it was a step father and step
daughter arguing. In cases of parents publicly disciplining their
child, while I might completely disagree I wouldn't intervene.
It's similar to when a woman was raped on the subway years
ago and while people witnessed it, no one said or did a thing.
I would like to believe I would at least call 9-1-1.
It's bizarre, the stuff that people are made of.
I would definitely be interested in reading
more studies regarding this subject, so if you know of any,
please drop me a line.

2 comments:

TaraMetBlog said...

How could you not at least dial 911, i would also like to think I would. I can see not approaching especially being a woman and might not really be able to help but how hard is it to alert a cop or call the police. I used to always think about this after learning of a similar situation in Psych class and hearing the high statistics of people not calling the police during a situation since they figured somone else was calling or they simply did not want to be involved. crazy.

Ali Hope said...

Thanks for the feedback ladies! It's kind of sad and perhaps this is a bit harsh but I think people can be such lemmings at times. If I trusted other people to act on things, I think I would be disappointed to say the least.

Free Blog Counter